Monday, January 28, 2008

Joyful Sadness

We have lost the beloved president and prophet of my church and it is with joyful sadness that we celebrate his life. He accomplished much in his long and productive life. Click here and here for articles about him. His wisdom, wit, and love was felt by all who came in contact with him, whether it be his warm handshake, quick smile, kind words, or message to all about our purpose in life. "Be a little better" was my favorite quote I heard often from him. Those four words simplified the overwhelming task of doing all we are required to do on this earth. Those words made it possible for me to understand the pursuit of perfection is not to be perfect, but to "be a little better". While looking for photos for this post I found this picture of President Hinckley at his wife's funeral in 2004. It touches me so. I imagine she has been anxiously waiting for her beloved husband to join her on the other side of this earthly existence. President Hinckley's passing is her joy and our sadness today. It will be her joy in which we celebrate. When President Hinckley spoke about his wife following her death he said, "My children and I were at her bedside as she slipped peacefully into eternity. As I held her hand and saw mortal life drain from her fingers, I confess I was overcome. Before I married her, she had been the girl of my dreams, to use the words of a song then popular. She was my dear companion for more than two-thirds of a century, my equal before the Lord, really my superior. And now in my old age, she has again become the girl of my dreams." His tender heart was the best example and teacher to all who would listen.

No comments: