Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Sample Tramp

It seems there's a new sport. Have you ever been sample tramping? If you haven't, you are definitely missing out. Let me explain. It seems I have educated myself regarding all the best places in the greater Ann Arbor area where food samples are in abundance. And this sample tramp gets around!

For my birthday this year I was the happy recipient of the very first sample tramp jersey and I couldn't be more pleased. (I will post a picture soon!) Clearly we needed a uniform! I hope it becomes an olympic sport.....because I need a gold medal in something. And I am afraid this is my best and only shot!

Costco and Sam's Club is a great place to start. This is where all the frozen food tastes unbelievably good and you think...."I can't believe this is a frozen food. I need to buy this". I am not sure why, but every time I have bought the frozen version of the advertised sample, it never tastes as good at home. I am convinced they use totally different products for all samples. (I said everytime, but I really have only bought a frozen entree twice. I learned my lesson the second time. Those frozen chicken burritos are not good at all.)

Then there is the Produce Station...the healthy choice. Ahh.....the fruit samples are divine. And the fruit does taste as good as the samples. I have never been disappointed. Occasionally there are several different cheeses to taste. I think they intend A TASTE. But I sample......and this sample tramp might be found shamelessly making the rounds several times.

And then Whole Foods. Oh my goodness. In the glory days, this Sample Tramp and her whole team of tramps could be found Saturday morning at Whole Foods buying a few measley berries for breakfast. Prior to our pitifully small berry purchase, the samples were pillaged with reckless abandon. We are convinced this team of sample tramps is the sole reason there is now only one cheese sample on Saturday mornings. How do they expect us to become connoisseurs of cheese if we can't taste them all.......several times??

And then there is the mecca of all sampling, which is Zingerman's Deli of course. The place where sample tramps are celebrated. The place where they ask the tramp what she wants to taste before she even has to ask. It is the place where this Sample Tramp has been educated on the finer points of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, bread, and cheese. It is the place where sampling is part of a higher purpose including appreciation and education on all the finer foods we are blessed with on this earth. It is the place where I can have a taste, without having to ask any of my friends for just one bite. It is my sample tramp haven. And if you don't have time to go Kerrytown....don't forget the Bakehouse. It's all the sampling without any trouble with parking. Perfect!

4 comments:

Angie said...

The reason has become clear now why you love Zingermans so much... but you forgot to add Macy's frozen yogurt. I witnessed some fine sample tramping just the other day!

taylor and laney said...

Rach, so a few months ago, Laney and I went to Costco and they let the sampling flood gates open. They basically feed their customers one night a year. SO many things were for the sampling. There were people in lines, pushing, people not being able to get what they wanted, a little bickering (but not much). We have never seen Costco so packed. It was unreal, and I'm sure it was much worse here in Utah county, where everyone mooches too much. I can barely wait until next year.

Eliza said...

Maybe you and Tyson could live with each other...you would have a glorious time "sample tramping"-or would he be considered a sample gigilo?

Rachael said...

Liza...I so need a gigolo in my vampy sample group. Tyson would LOVE LOVE LOVE Zingerman's Deli.

Taylor...I never knew Costco had their equivalent of super saturday. I will have to check into that. I hope they have it here too! When are you coming to Ann Arbor? Can't beat the Law School here and they love filling up the Mormon quota! Just think....there would be a reason for me to cook Sunday dinner again!